Monday, March 27, 2006

#St Mary's Island

if u are inspired enough :http://www.ourkarnataka.com/states/udupi/stmarysislands.htm


Its like an island from the books
Of my childhood,
full of mystery
Mystery with happy endings
An island from the thick of dreams
Untouched beauty
One harsh whisper of the night
And I would awake
And loose
This island to the winds of sleep
Clean sands one thought
when I lighted on her shores
But then it was broken bits of shells
On wet feet.
And I was like a child confused
For to walk on corpses,
however pretty Is rude.
So I plunged into the water
And floated on my back
And soon I was feeling a light easy laughter
On my lips I think the sea took in my little troubles
And set me free.
For Now.
Then I lay on the rocks
And the sky was a quiet pensive blue
And threw back my musings
Like a mirror to my thoughts
And the indigo sea.
The sea wasFrothy white when she met my toes
shimmering flakes of golden sand a little further
And then she looked blue like the sky
She was a brooding inky around boulders
And sapphire after that.
I wouldn’t stop there
Because she was a lot of other colors too.
And I felt I was lucky that I could see
A lot of colors togetherI think I’ve grown wise
For I don’t know the color of the sea now.
For when I was youngerI thought foolishly that she was only blue
And never could see another point of view.
The rocks on the island had a sense of humour
They were Hexagonal and linear for no reason
I didn’t want any scientific reasons
Lets just say there’s still magic
And that we could be anything in this little island
Say , a mermaid too.
And so for the rest of the evening
I was a mermaid on the funny rocks
I watched roguish beach football
Wet lissome women, and ecstatic children
For Its nice to see people happy for a change

9 comments:

Twilight Fairy said...

i like the poems..and the name too! :)

Twilight Fairy said...

BTW u have banned other nonicks from ur page! :p

maya varghese said...

will change the settings.
i think of all people i ought to admit nonicks in.

fairy of the twilight welcome to Like it is.

Anonymous said...

Just got your mail.
Glad!
and WHEN U SING SING LOUD!

LOVE U
mAnju

maya varghese said...

i think its too loud already.

:-) said...

Maya! So you can sing?!!!

anantha said...

So the nonick turns out to be not so nonick... hmmm.. for a PC person like me, this post dont mean much, but nod and smile like the rest. Do post more and more..

SwB said...

very nice Maya! Hope to see more.

cheers!

maya varghese said...

anti:i know, poetry is tedious stuff so dont bother.


swb: thanks and welcome to the site.