Thursday, June 15, 2006

#broken nest






a wagtail with a funny chewed-up tail
has been nesting under the sunshade for quite a while
while I iron in the adjoining room
they make a lot of noise
strange smooching sounds
squeaks and calling out


yesterday night it rained
and the wind raged as if possessed.
in the morning the maid
found the little wagtail's nest
once cosy and a sacred home
a bunch of brittle twigs.wet, some torn


and our dog Tiger had a fledging or two for breakfast
there was a lot of frantic calling from the garden
and i rushed out to rescue yet another.
i shut the baby bird in the sturdy
the motherbird promptly sat guard on the guava branch outside.
and Tiger banished to the garage, admonished and shamed .


at sundown after work I found the motherbird
still on her slender swingy perch
and her little one had made it to the window sill.
the motherbird cajoling flight, her offspring reluctant.
and their nest of brittle twigs lay wasted underneath.
one night was all it took, one windy wet black cruel night.


and to think yesterday night i almost broke my cosy nest
i lay awake listening to the storm
outside the winds blew as if possessed
playing with my wavering thoughts.
but by sunrise , the storm abated
both within and without.


and before me as i watched -the little wagtail like magic
flew off my window sill to join his triumphant mother.
And I hope they have learnt their lesson well,
Next time I hope it’s a sturdier nest

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog

Raj

maya varghese said...

welcome